A new study found that in homes where there was more frequent use of cleaning products, children were at greater risk of developing asthma and having other breathing problems.
Environmental health non-profit, Women’s Voices for the Earth (WVE), is raising concerns about the use of antibacterial chemicals commonly found in disinfecting products like wipes, sprays, and all-purpose cleaners. Registered as pesticides with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), ammonium quaternary compounds — or “quats” — are linked to adverse health effects including asthma, dermatitis, reproductive harm, and the spread of antimicrobial resistance bacteria, often referred to as “super-bugs”. As a major manufacturer of disinfecting products, WVE is calling on The Clorox Company to be a leader in product safety and eliminate quats from their products.
We can control the cleaning products we use in our homes, but what about products that get used in public spaces? Learn more and what you can do to help #quitquats for good!
Interestingly, almost a quarter of cases of fragrance-associated asthma in the workplace occurred in workers who had no previous history of asthma, but developed it as a result of exposure to scented products on the job.
Helpful fragrance-free policies and other resources to help make your case for why everyone’s health is better off without unnecessary and uncontrollable fragrance exposures.