Women’s Voices for the Earth (WVE) amplifies women’s voices to eliminate the toxic chemicals that harm our health and communities. We believe that everyone, regardless of their race, socio-economic status, or gender, deserves to live in an environment free of toxic chemicals that may give them cancer, cause infertility and birth defects, or result in health problems for future generations. We lead advocates across the country in campaigns to enact health-protective laws and increase corporate accountability, focusing on the industries that most heavily market and sell to women. This unique and powerful force has resulted in shifts by some of the largest consumer products companies in the world, and in policies that protect women’s health.
WVE seeks an Executive Director (ED) to advance its mission through effective programs, campaigns and organizational partnerships. The ED will provide confident and insightful leadership and operations management to increase the organization’s impact, and accomplish its goals including investing in leadership development and expanding our base to be inclusive of disproportionately impacted people. This is a unique opportunity for a passionate and savvy executive to play a pivotal role in transforming the world by broadening and deepening the movement for a toxic-free future.
The new Executive Director will lead the organization’s existing core program initiatives, and develop innovative new programs and strategies that will inspire existing members and engage a new generation of supporters from all backgrounds. This leader will articulate the distinct role that WVE will play within the broader environmental health sphere, and work to build alliances across the environmental health, reproductive justice, and environmental justice movements.
The successful candidate will be an inspiring and entrepreneurial leader who can build on the success of WVE and take the organization through its next chapter of growth both financially and programmatically. They will have experience working with diverse constituencies, and be comfortable acting as a spokesperson for the organization in order to identify new opportunities, establish new relationships and nurture existing relationships with partners, funders, government officials, the media and others.
Brand Management, Outreach & Fundraising
- Act as a spokesperson and work with staff/board to communicate WVE’s message and goals to the public.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to advance WVE’s goals of base-building, leadership development and increased representation of disproportionately impacted communities.
- Develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with supporters, partners, funders, industry, media and others.
- Organize initiatives and develop coalitions with allied groups across the environmental justice, environmental health, reproductive justice, reproductive health and women’s empowerment, health and wellness movements.
- Build, diversify and strengthen WVE’s role (as a leader, resource and facilitator) in coalitions and in the environmental health movement.
- Lead efforts to increase funding by establishing new relationships with donors and foundations and stewarding existing donors and funders.
- Set annual fundraising goals and work with Development Director on planning and strategy in order to grow WVE’s budget.
Strategic Planning, Management and Oversight
- Provide vision, direction, and oversight of strategic plans for WVE staff and external stakeholders.
- With the support of the Board of Directors, establish annual goals, and create metrics to assess staff performance to reach annual goals.
- Work with Director of Finance and Administration and board to develop budgets and assess short and long-term financial health.
- Ensure that WVE’s personnel policies, practices, and benefits are legal, progressive, and contribute to an inclusive, productive work environment.
- Oversee human resource functions such as recruitment, hiring, supervision, evaluation, and termination.
Board & Staff Relationships
- Communicate regularly with the Board Chair on any significant issues affecting the organization.
- Support the operation of the Board of Directors by effectively leading and managing recruitment, committees, action teams, work groups, and consultants.
- Develop annual budget and report to the Board on the organization’s financial performance.
- Ensure an organizational culture based on trust, mutual respect and open communication.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Previous experience as an E.D. preferred
- Passion for and commitment to WVE’s mission and values including feminism, racial equity, access and inclusiveness, and experience applying these values in their work
- Experience developing and executing a vision and/or strategic plan
- Experience creating and implementing organizing and base-building strategies both online and on-the-ground
- Significant experience leading and managing staff and teams to achieve shared goals and commitments
- Demonstrated experience in successful fundraising, including building relationships with donors and funders
- Experienced and effective public speaker and spokesperson, with ability to speak to diverse groups
- Experience managing nonprofit finances including creating budgets and being fiscally responsible
- Experience building strategic networks, coalitions and collaborations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer & technological literacy
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
In addition to these qualifications, candidate will have:
- Substantial expertise in environmental justice, particularly women’s health and toxics
- Emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Ability to be flexible and resilient and adapt to changing landscape
- Willingness to take risks and learn from mistakes
- Commitment to fostering an organizational culture of self-care, work-life balance and professional development
POSITION AND LOCATION
The Executive Director (ED) is a full-time exempt position with oversight responsibility for the organization. The ED is responsible for carrying forth the vision of the organization as developed by the Board of Directors, staff, and key stakeholders. The position directly reports to the Board of Directors.
WVE is based in Missoula, Montana. We will consider remote work options for the right candidate who is willing and able to spend up to 25 % of their time in Missoula.
Salary is comparable to similar organizations in Missoula, Montana, with a range of $72,000- $83,000 annually. If a remote candidate is chosen the salary will be adjusted by a cost of labor geographic differential. WVE provides health insurance, sick, and vacation benefits, and up to a 3% match to a retirement plan.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or emails please. This position will remain open until filled. To be considered for the first round of interviews please submit your application materials by October 1, 2018. We will begin interviewing candidates in October.
WVE is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, gender identity, disability, size, or sexual orientation. Applicants of color and those who will increase the diversity of WVE are strongly encouraged to apply.
DOWNLOAD PDF EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
ONGOING: Internships and Volunteer Opportunities with WVE
Through our Internship program, WVE provides an opportunity for students and others to gain first-hand experience working on issues of environmental health and justice. Interns work hand-in-hand with our professional staff to develop a variety of personal and professional skills. For example, past WVE interns have conducted research on strategies for movement building and messaging, conducted outreach to various partner organizations, supported legislative advocacy projects and organized special events. Our interns make a lasting contribution to the development of WVE’s programs and enhance the organization’s capacity to fulfill its mission.
For more information, contact WVE at email@example.com.