Office Assistant and Bookkeeper
Founded in 1995, Women’s Voices for the Earth (WVE) amplifies women’s voices to eliminate the toxic chemicals that harm our health and communities. We believe that everyone, regardless of their race, socio-economic status, or gender, deserves to live in an environment free of toxic chemicals that may give them cancer, cause infertility and birth defects, or cause health problems for future generations. WVE challenges corporate practices that threaten women’s health through the unfettered use of toxic chemicals and work for health-protective policies that protect everyone from toxic chemical exposure. Today, we lead a network of tens of thousands of women nationwide who are working to empower and educate women, enact health protective laws, and drive up corporate accountability and transparency.
WVE is looking for a half-time Office Assistant and Bookkeeper whose primary responsibilities are to provide general office support with bookkeeping responsibilities. The Office Assistant and Bookkeeper reports to the Director of Program and Policy. Must be able to work 4-5 hours day for 4-5 days per week.
- Work directly with Executive Director in making sure daily operations are running smoothly keeping in line with the mission and vision of the organization
- Monitor organizational email and phone systems, filter, and send to appropriate staff
- Coordinate Executive Directors and staff calendars for interviewing and hiring processes
- Pick up and sort mail from post office, box and mail supplies
- Oversee inventory of all supplies and materials related to the infrastructure needs of WVE
- Maintain archival and administrative files
- Administrative duties related to the Board of Directors
- Support maintenance of sustainer program, database maintenance/input, thank you letters, mailing/shipping support, event support
- Be liaison with all outside vendors
- Event planning and logistics coordination for annual retreat and other WVE events
- Maintain Quickbooks and code transactions with the appropriate chart of accounts, programs & funder information
- Conduct a monthly reconciliation of bank and credit card accounts
- Process monthly employee reimbursement requests
- Ensure all monthly invoices are paid
- Run checks from QuickBooks weekly
- Process weekly Bank Deposits
- Support Development Director with grant financial requests
- Help monitor fundraising and accounting systems and procedures capturing all pledges, billings and receipts for the recording of all revenue transactions.
- Ensure Accounting related requests are resolved and communicated in a timely manner to internal and external parties as needed
- Be liaison for employees and payroll company and employee benefits questions
- Support preparation of annual 990 and audit with outside CPA firm
- Monitor monthly cash flow
- Coordinate with staff to ensure expenses are within budget for programs and general operations
- 2 years significant and relevant education and/or experience needed for this position.
- Focused and flexible with willingness to play an active role in all aspects of the organization
- Financial literacy
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high level of integrity and sound judgment
- Ability to communicate and work collaboratively across the organization, openly and with respect
- Database management experience
- Strong analytical skills and highly organized
- Proficient in MS Office for Windows, Microsoft Office 365, QuickBooks
- Ability to walk up and down stairs and lift at least 20 pounds.
TERMS AND COMPENSATION
This position is located in Missoula, MT. The position is part-time (20 hours/week) with a salary range of $16,000 – $17,500 ($32,000 – $35,000 full time equivalent), depending on experience. Position includes pro-rated health benefits, retirement match, generous paid leave, and an excellent working environment.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references by email to email@example.com with “Office Assistant and Bookkeeper” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin February 3 and will be accepted until position is filled. No phone calls please.
WVE strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional gender justice and racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. WVE provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
ONGOING: Internships and Volunteer Opportunities with WVE
Through our Internship program, WVE provides an opportunity for students and others to gain first-hand experience working on issues of environmental health and justice. Interns work hand-in-hand with our professional staff to develop a variety of personal and professional skills. For example, past WVE interns have conducted research on strategies for movement building and messaging, conducted outreach to various partner organizations, supported legislative advocacy projects and organized special events. Our interns make a lasting contribution to the development of WVE’s programs and enhance the organization’s capacity to fulfill its mission.
For more information, contact WVE at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call for Nominations for New Board Members
[DOWNLOAD and PRINT this description]
Seeking to add 2-4 new members by May 2020
Women’s Voices for the Earth amplifies women’s voices to eliminate the toxic chemicals that harm our health and communities. WVE is the only women-led environmental health organization focusing on eliminating toxic chemicals from the products women use every day. WVE works within the social justice and environmental health movements to raise the voices of all women to advocate for their health. The organization is committed to building alliances that engage diverse communities and address the concerns of those most impacted by toxic exposures.
About the Position
WVE seeks a diverse group of dedicated, creative, and savvy individuals, aligned with WVE’s mission, to serve on its board of directors. Board member responsibilities include: organizational governance, fiscal oversight and fiduciary responsibility; actively participating in board meetings, subcommittees and other board activities; planning and setting of WVE’s strategic direction; engaging in targeted fundraising activities; supporting and evaluating the executive director; assisting in building an effective board; and acting as an ambassador for WVE and enhancing its public standing. Board terms are two years in length for the first year, two years subsequently, if re-nominated, up to 6 consecutive years.
We are looking to add 2-4 new board members in time to attend our annual retreat this summer. Applicants of color and others who will increase the diversity of WVE’s board are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are prioritizing candidates who have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Legal expertise
- Human resources management
- Health care/health policy
- Government relations
- Environmental health/environmental justice/climate justice
- Network weaving, particularly in areas of environmental justice, reproductive justice, and youth organizing
- Previous board experience a plus
- Connections to philanthropic community a plus
- Green chemistry knowledge a plus
If interested in being considered for WVE’s board, please complete the following form and return it to board member Nicole Acevedo at: email@example.com at your earliest convenience but no later than February 29, 2020. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis.
WOMEN’S VOICES FOR THE EARTH
BOARD CANDIDATE STATEMENT OF INTEREST
1. Please provide or attach your short bio.
2. Why are you interested in WVE and in serving on WVE’s board of directors?
3. Please describe any past board experience.
4. What skills, assets, relationships and expertise would you bring to WVE’s board and to the organization?
5. Do you have any concerns or questions about board service?
6. If invited to join the board, when would you be available to start a board term?
7. Is there anything else you’d like to share with us?
Thank you for your interest in WVE