Detox the Box
Toxic chemicals don’t belong in feminine products. Period.
Our new Chem Fatale report finds toxic chemicals commonly used in feminine care products like pads and tampons. Unfortunately, because pads and tampons are regulated as “medical devices” and not “personal care products,” companies aren’t required to disclose any of the ingredients used in these products.
Here’s why this is a serious problem:
- Test results show dioxins, furans and pesticide residues in tampons, which have been linked to cancer, reproductive harm, and hormone disruption.
- Studies link menstrual pad use to vulvar allergic rash in some women. Both adhesive chemicals like methyldibromo glutaronitrile and fragrances used in pads have been identified as causes of these allergic rashes.
- Fragrance is commonly used in pads and tampons, and all fragrance ingredients are kept secret. We know that Procter & Gamble (makers of Tampax and Always) uses harmful chemicals like styrene, pyridine and methyleugenol (linked cancer) and synthetic musks like galaxolide and tonalide (potential hormone disruptors linked to increased risk of breast cancer) in their fragrances.
- The harmful chemicals in these products come into contact with some of the most absorptive skin on our bodies!
Toxic chemicals don’t belong in feminine care products. Period.
Avoid Toxic Chemicals
- Avoid Hall of Shame products
- Bookmark our Chemicals of Concern fact sheet so you can reference it when shopping for feminine products.
- Reduce your use of feminine products, especially those that are medically unnecessary for a healthy vagina.
- Choose unscented products where available, especially in tampons and pads.
- Choose chlorine-free bleach or unbleached tampons and pads.
- If you are having allergic symptoms, switch brands, and then tell the company why you did by calling the 800 number on the label.
- Report any symptoms possibly resulting from feminine products to the FDA by calling 1-800-332-1088 or filling out a consumer report form.
|Chem Fatale report
Informe en en español
|Avoid Toxic Chemicals in Pads & Tampons|
|No Secrets: Safer Products|
Detox the Box Advisory Committee
WVE does not share your information with other organizations.