Detox the Box
Toxic chemicals don’t belong in feminine products. Period.
Our groundbreaking Chem Fatale report exposes the truth about the hidden hazards in feminine products. Unfortunately, because pads and tampons are regulated as “medical devices” and not “personal care products,” companies aren’t legally required to disclose any of the ingredients used in these products. Here are some highlights from the report:
- Tampons, pads, douche, wipes, and sprays all may contain hazardous chemicals like carcinogens, reproductive toxins, endocrine disruptors, and allergens.
- These hazardous chemicals can increase the risk of breast cancer, reproductive problems, asthma, and allergic reactions.
- Vaginal tissue is way more absorptive than other skin, making the presence of hormone-disrupting and other toxic chemicals in feminine care products especially concerning.
- The FDA doesn’t meaningfully regulate feminine care products. There’s no pre-market safety testing and companies are not legally required to disclose ingredients in tampons and pads and fragrance ingredients in other products.
The bottom line: Unregulated toxic chemicals have no place in feminine care products. Period.
|Tell Tampax and Always to detox the box!|
- Avoid Hall of Shame products
- Bookmark our Chemicals of Concern fact sheet so you can reference it when shopping for feminine products.
- Reduce your use of feminine products, especially those that are medically unnecessary for a healthy vagina.
- Choose unscented products where available, especially in tampons and pads.
- Choose chlorine-free bleach or unbleached tampons and pads.
- If you are having allergic symptoms, switch brands, and then tell the company why you did by calling the 800 number on the label.
- Report any symptoms possibly resulting from feminine products to the FDA by calling 1-800-332-1088 or filling out a consumer report form.
|Chem Fatale report Informe en en español|
|Avoid Toxic Chemicals in Pads & Tampons|
|No Secrets: Shop Safer Products|
Campaign Partners & Resources
WVE does not share your information with other organizations.