Note: This list is not exhaustive. The following ingredients are compiled by information available and updated as of July 2017; formulations are subject to change.
Women’s Voices’ research identified several feminine wash products currently on the market that contain the colorants FD&C Red No. 33, Ext Violet #2 and Yellow #5. The FDA has recognized use restrictions on these colorants. Specifically:
- D&C Red No. 33 and Ext Violet #2 are colorants that are not authorized for use in products which come into contact with mucous membranes.
- The use of Yellow #5 requires a specific safety warning regarding allergic reactions when used in drugs that are applied vaginally.
So WHY are these chemicals ending up in products made specifically for vaginal use? Four words: For External Use Only.
While most feminine wash products have the words “For external use only” on their labels, it’s undeniable that even manufacturers expect both the internal and external use of their products. For example, many feminine wash brands make claims such as ‘pH balanced’ or ‘helps maintain a healthy pH balance’. A product could only affect vaginal pH if it is applied to internal vaginal tissue.
The fact that manufacturers are putting chemicals like these colorants into feminine care products, further illustrates the need for greater research, attention and scrutiny from the FDA regarding chemicals used in products that come in contact with one of the most sensitive and absorbent parts of a woman’s body.
D&C Red No. 33 can be found in the following feminine care products:
- CVS Feminine Wash – Sensitive Skin
- Vagisil Feminine Wash – pH balance & Odor Block
- Equate Feminine Wash
- Equate Feminine Wash Sensitive Skin Care
- Equate pH Balance Feminine Wash- light scent
- Equate Tropical Infusion Sensitive Skin Feminine Wash
- Benzal Odor Block Wash
- SweetSpot Labs Gentle Feminine Wash Geranium Lavender
- Intimos Strawberry Feminine Wash (Ref. 1026)
- Summer’s Eve Simply Sensitive Cleansing Wash
- Summer’s Eve Island Splash Cleansing Wash
- Up & Up Feminine Wash For Sensitive Skin
- Up & Up Feminine Wash pH Balance
- Walgreens Feminine Wash for Sensitive Skin
Ext. D&C Violet No. 2 can be found in the following feminine care products:
- Up & Up Feminine Wash – Soft Petal Scent
- Natureplex Bella Flore Feminine Wash
- Lagicam Feminine Wash Sensitive
- Summer’s Eve Delicate Blossom Cleansing Wash
- Equate Petal Feminine Wash
- Walgreens Feminine Cleansing Wash Spring Floral
FD&C Yellow No. 5 can be found in the following feminine care products:
- Lemisol Plus Refreshing Cleansing Solution
- Lemisol Plus Feminine Wash Gentle Daily Cleanser Original
- Summer’s Eve Target Exclusive Aloe Love Cleansing Wash
- Summer’s Eve Morning Paradise Cleansing Wash