National Outreach Coordinator
Founded in 1995, Women’s Voices for the Earth (WVE) amplifies women’s voices to eliminate the toxic chemicals that harm our health and communities. We believe that everyone, regardless of their race, socio-economic status, or gender, deserves to live in an environment free of toxic chemicals that may give them cancer, cause infertility and birth defects, or cause health problems for future generations. WVE challenges corporate practices that threaten women’s health through the unfettered use of toxic chemicals and work for health-protective policies that protect everyone from toxic chemical exposure. Today, we lead a network of tens of thousands of women nationwide who are working to empower and educate women, enact health protective laws, and drive up corporate accountability and transparency.
WVE is looking for a part-time Outreach Coordinator to direct grassroots organizing and outreach in support of our campaigns to eliminate toxic chemicals from feminine care products, cosmetics, fragrances, and cleaning products. The Outreach Coordinator is an integral new member of a small, highly effective team working to eliminate toxic chemicals from products and processes. This position is primarily responsible for building, supporting, and mobilizing WVE’s base of activists and partners nationwide to support campaign goals. The position is part-time (20 hours/week) and reports to the Director of Programs and Policy.
The ideal candidate for this position is a highly motivated self-starter, enjoys working in a fast-paced and collegial environment, loves picking up the phone to build relationships, is enthusiastic about public speaking and networking, has a love for online and offline organizing, and is happy working remotely. This person comes with some experience but is also looking to grow and develop in this exciting position.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Volunteer Program Development
- Develop and implement new outreach and engagement strategies to grow WVE’s base of actively involved constituents, working closely with program staff to ensure alignment and support campaigns.
- Create systems for recruiting, retaining and supporting a team of remote volunteers.
- Identify leaders, mentor and coach volunteers and activists.
- Lead, engage, and grow WVE’s “Actionista” team, a network of super-volunteers across the country who are interested in doing more.
- Engage WVE members and allies to support state and federal policies through LTEs, Op-Eds, speaking at briefings/hearings, in-district meetings & lobby days.
Outreach & Public Education
- Through recruitment, training and coaching, mobilize thousands of activists over email, phone, on social media, and other online platforms to pressure targets.
- Conduct targeted outreach to priority groups of women (i.e. disseminating WVE reports, making presentations, inviting to events, etc.).
- Develop and coordinate public speaking opportunities, workshops, or other offline events.
- Draft and design educational materials, including fact sheets, brochures/pamphlets, issue papers or other materials to support engagement strategies.
- Produce public writing pieces, such as blog entries, newsletter articles, op-eds, etc.
- Develop web content and social media outreach campaigns that mobilize supporters into action.
- Manage and build strong relationships with health, environmental, social, reproductive justice groups and others as strategic for program goals.
- Prioritize young women and college students, moms, directly health-impacted women, and reproductive health networks.
- Efficiently and effectively track individuals and organizations WVE engages with.
- Participate in weekly staff meeting, bi-monthly program meetings, two in-person retreats per year in Montana, and all other organizational meetings as needed to effectively carry out job duties or as directed by supervisor.
- Participate in strategic planning to help guide the direction of the outreach program.
- WVE is a small, collaborative organization. From time to time, you may be asked to take on projects or tasks in support of the whole organization.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS DESIRED
- Experience with grassroots organizing, public speaking, and advocacy work; Work within the environmental health and justice fields and familiarity with toxics issues a plus
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Minimum of 1-2 years of previous outreach and organizing experience
- Familiarity with Word Press and EveryAction a plus
- Experience with web page design, digital imagery and other internet-based communication strategies/techniques
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe design programs
- Superb organizational and project management skills
- Must be willing to travel
- Must be able to work legally in the United States
- Must be able to work efficiently and independently in a remote office on a regular set schedule
- Must be a team player
TERMS AND COMPENSATION
This position is located in the Bay Area, California. (WVE national headquarters is located in Missoula, Montana.) The position is part-time (20 hours/week) with opportunity to grow as funding allows. Salary range is $19,000 – $21,000 ($38,000 – $42,000 full time equivalent), depending on experience. Position includes pro-rated health benefits, retirement match, generous paid leave, and an excellent working environment.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references by email to email@example.com with “Outreach Applicant” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin February 3 and will be accepted until position is filled. No phone calls please.
WVE strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional gender justice and racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. WVE provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Internships and Volunteer Opportunities with WVE
Through our Internship program, WVE provides an opportunity for students and others to gain first-hand experience working on issues of environmental health and justice. Interns work hand-in-hand with our professional staff to develop a variety of personal and professional skills. For example, past WVE interns have conducted research on strategies for movement building and messaging, conducted outreach to various partner organizations, supported legislative advocacy projects and organized special events. Our interns make a lasting contribution to the development of WVE’s programs and enhance the organization’s capacity to fulfill its mission.
For more information, contact WVE at firstname.lastname@example.org.