Jobs + Internships
Communications and Outreach Director
Founded in 1995, Women’s Voices for the Earth (WVE) is a national organization that amplifies women’s voices to eliminate the toxic chemicals that harm our health and communities. WVE is the only women-led environmental health organization focusing on eliminating toxic chemicals from the products women encounter every day. WVE works within the social justice and environmental health movements to amplify the voices of all women to advocate for their health. The organization is committed to building alliances that engage diverse communities and address the concerns of those most impacted by toxic exposures. WVE envisions a world where women lead to create a healthy environment without toxic chemicals in our workplaces, homes, and communities.
Women’s Voices for the Earth is a national organization headquartered in Missoula, MT. Our staff is small, entrepreneurial and highly effective. We are seeking an experienced communications and outreach professional to join our team as the Communications and Outreach Director. The ideal candidate for this position is a highly motivated project manager who is a self-starter, thrives on juggling multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously, and enjoys working in a fast-paced and collegial environment. This person comes with experience but is also looking to grow and develop in this exciting position.
The Communications and Outreach Director is responsible for coordinating all aspects of WVE’s communications and outreach to the general membership. This person ensures that WVE has consistent, branded, and compelling communications throughout the organization; that WVE’s messages clearly reach our various audiences through multiple outreach channels, including email, social media, website, print and online publications, national media, and events. This person works to raise the organization’s profile nationally and increase the engagement of women in our work. This position is full-time and reports to the Executive Director.
Specifically, this person is responsible for the following:
- Coordinate the production and dissemination of WVE’s bimonthly e-newsletter, “tip of the month” email, and coordinate and edit all other action alerts and email blasts, using the Democracy in Action (Salsa Labs) platform.
- Regularly assess and analyze email communications strategies and modify as necessary to ensure successful engagement. Strategies may include list segmentation, developing auto-response campaigns, etc.
- Manage all aspects of the website, including regular updates of website content, troubleshooting with the website host, SEO optimization, and tracking and monitoring website reach and performance.
- Develop social media outreach plans across all WVE’s social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, LinkedIn, WVE’s Voices blog and others.
- Coordinate the production and posting of blog content for internal and external blogs.
- Maintain Google Analytics and Google AdWords grant accounts.
- Manage all contractors needed to assist in carrying out these duties.
Collateral Materials and Publications
- Develop WVE’s annual report, annual Non-Toxic Shopping Guide, and other outreach and promotional materials, including brochures, donor packets, etc. throughout the year.
- Edit all online and hard copy publications (reports, fact sheets, etc.).
- Develop and manage an image library for organizational materials, including issue-based advocacy reports.
- Oversee design of all publications, ensuring consistent messaging and branding.
- Develop and implement WVE’s proactive media strategy, with the goal of increasing media coverage in major national outlets; manage reactive media strategy, responding to unforeseen opportunities as they arise.
- Serve as primary contact for the media, coordinating spokespeople and experts and acting as a media spokesperson as needed.
- Write and distribute organizational press releases, cultivate media contacts and build positive relationships on behalf of WVE, building and maintaining media contacts database.
- Coordinate media consultants as needed on specific projects.
- Implement and lead quarterly “Body & Soul” webinars; lead, engage, and grow WVE’s Actionista team; identify and promote “Inspirational Women” monthly; manage WVE’s annual “Women’s Health and Environment” Awards.
- Develop and implement new outreach and engagement strategies to grow WVE’s base of actively involved constituents, working closely with program staff to ensure alignment and support campaigns.
- Represent WVE at conferences or events as needed.
- Oversee the organization’s master communications calendar (that includes all of the above areas).
- Continually track and evaluate communications strategies through the evaluation dashboard; collect metrics monthly and analyze quarterly.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and bi-weekly strategy meetings to apply strategic thinking to current communications strategies in order to ensure greatest exposure for WVE and program impact.
- Assist the Executive Director with budgeting for communications and outreach needs.
- Collaborate closely with the Development Director to ensure communications strategies contribute to fundraising for the organization.
- Participate in all organizational meetings as directed by the Executive Director.
- Assist with any other projects as necessary.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS DESIRED
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector; specifically within the social justice/environmental justice fields, and familiarity with toxics issues and advocacy a plus
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- 3-5 years of experience developing and implementing effective public communications and marketing strategies
- Familiarity with Word Press and Democracy in Action (DIA) a plus
- Experience with web marketing, web page design, digital imagery and other internet-based communication strategies/techniques
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe design programs
- Experience with national media outreach
- Superb organizational and project management skills
TERMS AND COMPENSATION
This position is located at the WVE national headquarters in Missoula, MT. The salary range is low to mid 40’s depending on experience.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Applicant” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin September 24 and will be accepted until position is filled. No phone calls please.
WVE is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Internships and Volunteer Opportunities with WVE
Through our Internship program, WVE provides an opportunity for students and others to gain first-hand experience working on issues of environmental health and justice. Interns work hand-in-hand with our professional staff to develop a variety of personal and professional skills. For example, past WVE interns have conducted research on strategies for movement building and messaging, conducted outreach to various partner organizations, supported legislative advocacy projects and organized special events. Our interns make a lasting contribution to the development of WVE’s programs and enhance the organization’s capacity to fulfill its mission.
For more information, contact WVE at email@example.com.